Higher Education and Dyslexia

A dyslexic person moving into Higher Education can face new challenges and greater demands on their literacy skills, and so may need support for the first time or may need to continue with the kind of support they had in school.

In order to receive support whilst in Higher Education you require a diagnostic assessment that has been carried out after the age of 16. The National Dyslexia Network will be able to arrange the appropriate assessment for you. You can apply for the Disabled Students Allowance (not means tested) at the same time as making your online UCAS application. For NHS-funded courses, you need to apply to NHS Student Bursaries for your Disabled Students’ Allowances. In Wales apply to Student Finance Wales, or NHS Wales Student Awards Unit for NHS funded courses. In Scotland apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) for any course. In Northern Ireland apply to Student Finance England or your local Education and Library Board (ELB). For NHS-funded courses contact the Bursary Administration Unit.


The kind of support needed will depend on the demands of the particular course as well as the severity of your difficulties. To evaluate the support that you require your will be asked to receive an ‘assessment of needs’ https://www.dsa-qag.org.uk/students/find-assessment-centre , this is funded by Student Finance England. The support highlighted within the ‘assessment of needs’ could include:-

Specialist Equipment and Aids

 A computer, specialist software such as voice recognition, mind mapping and screen reading software

 Specialist support (also known as a non-medical helper’s allowance)

 Specialist tuition, study skills support, note-taker, etc. 1 to 1 study skills support many of the National Dyslexia Network area will be able to provide this support.

Catherine Wright

Special Teacher and Assessor

National Dyslexia Network 2017